Goop is speaking out against the “frivolous” claims contained in a new class action lawsuit filed against the company alleging that their candles scented like Gwyneth Paltrow’s vagina explode after lighting.
Texas resident Colby Watson filed the complaint, asserting that the candle exploded after he lit it for the first time and burned it for “an estimated three hours or less,” according to court documents obtained by Page Six Style. Watson says that he originally purchased the candle in January, but didn’t light it until February when it became “engulfed in high flames.” While the lawsuit uses the word “exploding,” in fact, the glass container remained in tact, but is now “charred and black” and allegedly left a “black burn ring” on the nightstand. The lawsuit requests a jury trial and is seeking triple compensation in addition to punitive damages.
However, a representative for the lifestyle brand founded by Paltrow categorically denies the basis of this lawsuit, telling the outlet, “We’re confident this claim is frivolous and an attempt to secure an outsized payout from a press-heavy product. We stand behind the brands we carry and the safety of the products we sell.” They added, “Here, Heretic—the brand that supplies the candle—has substantiated the product’s performance and safety through industry standard testing.” A warning on the product page for the sold-out Goop candle, which is also printed on the product itself, warns to trim the wick before use and not to burn the candle for more than two hours at a time.
This class action filing also comes after Jody Thompson of Kilburn, North London, told The Sun in January about how her attempt to create a little bit of mood lighting using the anatomically inspired home good turned into a roaring blaze. “The candle exploded and emitted huge flames, with bits flying everywhere. I’ve never seen anything like it. The whole thing was ablaze and it was too hot to touch. There was an inferno in the room,” she said. But Thompson added that she and her partner, David Snow, “eventually got it under control and threw it out the front door. It could have burned the place down. It was scary at the time, but funny looking back that Gwyneth’s vagina candle exploded in my living room.”
A Goop spokeswoman told the outlet at the time, “We’re in touch with the woman to see if she followed the specific fire safety instructions included with the candle, such as trimming the wick and not burning it for more than two hours. At Goop, we vet the products we sell and make customer safety a priority, so we’ve alerted the manufacturer to the woman’s issue and have also reached out to her to send her some goop products to help pass the days in quarantine.”
More Great Stories From Vanity Fair
— An Intimate View of a Young Queen Elizabeth II
— The Sacklers Launched OxyContin. Everyone Knows It Now.
— Exclusive Excerpt: An Icy Death at the Bottom of the World
— Lolita, Blake Bailey, and Me
— Kate Middleton and the Future of the Monarchy
— The Occasional Terror of Dating in the Digital Age
— The 13 Best Face Oils for Healthy, Balanced Skin
— From the Archive: Tinder and the Dawn of the “Dating Apocalypse”
— Sign up for the “Royal Watch” newsletter to receive all the chatter from Kensington Palace and beyond.